background

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Grandma Staub

My Grandma passed away last Sunday. She was 76 years old and had just received a new hip. No one is sure what happened, but her friend Donna is sure that Grandpa just couldn't be without her anymore (he died last year). We were all very shocked and saddened.

She was not just Grandma Staub... she was THE Grandma. You know, the ONE you're talking about when you say "Grandma". Maybe it was just in my family, but she was definitely our favorite. This past week I've been spending a lot of time just thinking about all the things we used to do together... spending nights at the house in Detroit with special breakfasts as a kid, a long car trip to my cousin's wedding in Maryland, boating or snow-mobiling when I was a bit older, showing up with friends for a surprise weekend as a teenager, cross-country skiing, late night chats at my Mom's house, special shopping trips (usually Walmart), bringing my Fiancee up north to visit as a young adult, fitting my wedding dress with she and Mom, playing dominoes at the house (chicken foot was a fav), bringing the kids for a visit at least once every Summer, and countless Holidays, weddings, baby blessings, and random visits. I'm so glad that my children had the opportunity to get to know such a special lady and very much wish that they were old enough to appreciate her more. My Mom says that she was THE NICEST woman in the world. And she was. I never heard her raise her voice (except maybe to call Grandpa), or speak an unkind word about anyone. She has been a wonderful example for a me as a woman and for the rest of my life I will strive to emulate her. She is missed.
Grandma with Scarlett last Summer.
Grandma and Grandpa on Sofia's blessing day.
The first daughter (sofia) of a first daughter (natalie) of a first daughter (mom) of a first daughter (grandma).
Grandma and Sofia Summer 2005.
hee hee...Grandma and Grandpa at Mom and Dad's wedding.
Grandma with 4 of the great grandkids (there are 20) at Matt and Alie's wedding December 2006.

7 comments:

Tulip Girl said...

Oh, Nat I am so sorry. ((hugs))

Q'Ville said...

I love reading these things, and they are all such fond memories. Was it chicke feet or turkey tracks? Anyway, she is all that... and more.

Q'Ville said...

Love all these great memories. Was it "chicken legs", or "turkey tracks"? Any, she was all that...and a bag of chips.

dawn said...

Thank you for such a beautiful tribute. You made me cry. She really was all that and a bag of chips.

The Amayesings said...

What a great way to remember your grandma. So sorry for your loss.

Miller Family said...

You wrote the most wonderful things about your Grandma on the blog...I feel like I know her so much better now! I am sad for your family but I smile as I think of her reunion with your Grandpa! Life is strange sometimes....why is it that we appreciate everyone so much more when they are gone? I am glad that your children were able to "know" their GREAT grandparents....mine will never even know their Grandpa.....

The Lunds said...

I like what you shared about your grandma. It is great to have someone so close and special. I can tell that she will be missed.

Margo